Posted March 13th, 2020 by Blaine Garrett
A Statement from MPLSART on COVID-19
As the COVID-19 Coronavirus continues to spread, we’re seeing local art events being canceled out of concern for the health of staff, artists, and general public.
Due to the face-to-face nature of the events we promote, we are taking action to do our part to protect the health of members of the community we serve. Please note, we are not medical experts nor should this information be construed as medical advice. See the links at the bottom of this page for official resources from the City of Minneapolis, CDC, and more.
Canceled or Postponed Events
We're doing our best to keep with event cancelations and postponements. If you are a gallery canceling an event or you know of an event listed on our site that has been canceled, please let us know by emailing us at email@example.com
Please include the link to the event affected and the canceled/postponed dates. We’ll leave events on the calendar that have been canceled but denote them with a "canceled" or "postponed" notice as per the image below.
Before attending an event or normal gallery hours, check the website of the venue to ensure they have not otherwise canceled.
- Please refrain from attending events if you are ill
- Minimize personal contact with strangers including handshakes, high fives, and hugs 😢
As per the CDCs recommendations:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds especially after you have been in a public place, or after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- If soap and water are not readily available, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol. Cover all surfaces of your hands and rub them together until they feel dry.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
- Stay home if you are sick, except to get medical care. Learn what to do if you are sick.
- More Recommendations
How To Support The Arts Community During this Time
- Consider making a donation to your favorite gallery or art organization
- Purchase artwork from the gallery or artists' online.
- Promote your favorite gallery, art organization, and artists through your social media channels and encourage your followers to support them as well.
Additional Resources for the Arts Community
- Arts Advocacy Day will continue but be online only.
- MRAC programming will continue but their offices will be closed starting Friday March 13th
- Springboard for the Arts programming will continue but their physical offices will be closed starting Monday March 16th
- Springboard for the Arts has put together a great evolving list of resources as well as an ethical cancelation guide.
Further Information on Coronavirus
- City of Minneapolis Statement - City of St Paul Statement
- Hennepin County Statement - Ramsey County Statement
- Center for Disease Control
- World Health Organization
Personal Closing Thoughts
"We Love Art. We Love You." is something we firmly believe in. We care greatly about the local arts community. To the best of our understanding, there is no reason to panic; however general precautions mentioned earlier should be taken.
The COVID-19 outbreak is scary. Everyone is dealing with it in their own way. We ask during these times everyone be patient and understanding. We'll get through this. Listen to medical professionals. Take care of yourself and check in on friends and loved ones to be sure they're ok and if they need anything. Share your energy with those that might need it.
To quote, Bill S. Preston Esq, "Be Excellent To Each Other"
Blaine, Katie + Team